Thursday, December 18, 2008

english toffee recipe

I have this sister in law, Kim, who is not only the most amazing person...she's a fabulous cook. She's famous in our family for her english toffee. Each Christmas she & her family makes batch after batch of this deeeeelightful confection! And her neighbors (& family) look forward to this each year.

When I first tasted it; I thought I was in heaven. It's that melt-in-your-mouth kind of treat that is to. die. for! And...with this year being my first Christmas with Celiac, I was eager to find any kind of gluten-free treats to share with family & friends. And yes, you guessed it: this toffee recipe is gluten-free. color me happy!
I've been making it this year for our neighbors & let me tell you...it's still as scrumptious as ever.
And since I can't come & bring it over to you & packaged up in a cute little Martha-Stewart-style box, I'll just share the recipe here and here's a link to download a printable PDF file. I think it would be so fab to attach them to your packages!
Happy Holiday Baking!
R

**eta: Yes, Lowly, it's 1 cube= 1/2 c. butter. Sorry about that...around here we just call it a cube o' buttah! I'm getting better & better with each batch I make. Last night we tried making it thicker & w/ no choc. *just almonds. And we did the almonds on the Silpat first. THEN poured the toffee over it. wow. talk about yum!

And when I say 'looks like peanut butter' I mean: the color of peanut butter; not the consistency. As Kim says: It starts to smoke. Not burn, but it just starts to get that roasty smell. Then, you know you're done. (if you don't have the candy thermometer!)

LMK how your recipes work out!

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Rhonna:
    Thank you for sharing the delicious-looking recipe and recipe card! Your blog header (I think that is what it is called, the picture at the top of the blog) is beautiful. You inspiRe me and make me vow to take the time to learn more about digital in the New Year.
    Thank you and best wishes to you and your lovely family.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say 'cubes' of butter, do you mean a whole stick (1/2 cup) is a cube?? Just wanted to make sure I know what I'm doing...thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an EVIL recipe!!!
    It must taste like heaven, LOL!
    TFS!
    B-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you re-entered the blog world. I followed you on your website, but this is more cozy. I love the recipe and download--thanks! What kind of computer course would you recommend for going more digital? I try to follow your tutorials, but I am missing something. I think because I've taught myself on the computer--I need to take a course to understand the language better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! i just sampled a plate of kim's goodness this afternoon. :)
    i love the recipe card! it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with celiac! I've been celiac for two years and it can be hard around the holidays. Lucky for me my mom and dad are both celiac as well and bakes/cooks some wonderful things. Have you heard of the Gluten Free Gourmet? She's this awesome chef - Bette Hagman who has soome wonderful recipes for everything and it's all, of course, gluten free. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete