Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Valentine Flowers....


I had so many requests to learn how to make those napkin flowers I showed in this past post.  Back in 2008 I ran across Dana's tutorial  **simply brilliant! Thanks, Dana!* 

I filed it away in my 'style file' & decided Valentine's Day was the perfect time for hearts & flowers! So, I got to work & created a huuuuge bouquet of them! **I did have an ulterior motive...Valentine Dance decorations**

They are so fun...they are all over my house..on my walls. on my mantle. in jars & vases, lining my tables ...

 I experimented with the sizes & insides of these huge flowers. I found that I LOVED the 15 3/4" x 15 3/4" thick napkins I found at a party store called Zurchers. (& I found some great ones at Hobby Lobby, too.) The thicker the better, so they feel more like fabric than paper.

The center fringe was created with these great fringe scissors...I remember about 4 years ago, I found some of these in Paris & they were quite pricey....& they weren't in my budget. I have kicked myself over & over for not just getting them! LOL...but, thank goodness, Martha Stewart has created some at a reasonable price! 
 As Dana shows in the fabulous tutorial...you'll need different sizes of the napkins.  & simply follow her directions for using the large & small napkins.

I am really into the gold & hot pink right now, so I used gold metallic tissue paper for most of my insides. I folded a piece, tied in with the larger napkins & then, fringed with scissors to create that fun look.

I also did some fun ones with tulle, polka dot & striped napkins in contrasting colors.

We are putting on a big Valentine's Dance for a whole slew of college kids. What to use for decorations? Yes! These fab flowers. HUNDREDS of them! Ok. well...as many as I can make by Thursday! I'll be bunching these up & putting them on the tables, walls, banners/garlands....it will be so pretty, I think!
Good thing my mom & dad are coming for a little visit...do you think they'll help me make some? haha!
Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment